Podcast 15: Beth Booram (Spiritual Direction)Aug 28, 2017
“As a holy listener …. I have to put myself out of the way, to become humble in the true sense of knowing my place in the order of God’s creation …. above, all, I must be reverent, for I am entrusted with something precious and tender.” (Margaret Guenther)
This is the essence of spiritual direction. Enjoy a conversation between Gem Fadling and Beth Booram, who is a seasoned spiritual director. Here are the questions discussed:
- How do you meet with God? What is your personal experience tending your own prayer and contemplative life?
- What is your favorite definition of spiritual direction?
- Describe the art of listening to God and the other person at the same time?
- How do you develop the skill of asking good questions?
- What are the benefits of spiritual direction?
- What do you talk about with a spiritual director?
- When is a good time in life for someone to seek spiritual direction?
- What is one piece of advice you would give to a practicing spiritual director?
- What is one piece of advice you would give to someone who is currently in a spiritual direction relationship?
Beth Booram, along with her husband David, is the founder and director of Sustainable Faith Indy, a retreat center in Indianapolis. She leads The School of Spiritual Direction, and speaks around the country on topics related to spiritual formation and Christian leadership. She has authored several books including Awaken Your Senses, and Starting Something New: Spiritual Direction for Your God-given Dream.