Podcast 34: Managing Our Expectations - Seasons, Stages, TransitionsFeb 11, 2018
Today is the last in our five-part series where we’ve been responding to your answers to our poll question: “What is the biggest challenge you face right now in living a more unhurried life?”
We received a whole grouping of answers that were all about life’s seasons, stages and transitions.
- We have the mom with young children at home trying to figure out how anything resembling unhurried time is even possible.
- There’s the student who is away at college, who feels the pressures of both school and family issues at home.
- We have the parents of the college students who are feeling the effects of the empty nest.
- There are those in the sandwich generation – caring for both aging parents and children at home.
We’ve also heard from people who say that they can’t meet with God in the same ways they used to. They keep working at an old practice that just doesn’t seem fruitful anymore. Or they simply cannot make their way to what used to fill their soul.
This conversation about seasons, stages and transitions can help us at any point in our lives.
I (Gem) remember, at one point, well into my 30s, we were talking and I realized that we kept using the word “transition.” “Oh, it feels like we are in another transition.” We came to the realization that life was transition. We were always moving from season or stage to the next.
Maybe our lives aren’t about settling into a destination as much as continuing on a fruitful journey.
So, rather than coming up with dozens of specific scenarios about people facing different seasons, stages or transitions, we’re going to try to give a vision for the over-arching reality of what these seasons can feel like. Especially as it relates to when we try to carry standards, or expectations, or even practices from one season into the next. We are tempted to see our lives as monolithic. What works for me now will work for me always. Listen in for more on this…
CLICK HERE for this free resource.
Join us on Patreon!
Those of you who listen to our podcast know that we are creating a worldwide conversation at the intersection of deeper spiritual life and broader personal influence. That’s what we mean by Unhurried Living.
In an age where hurry, distraction and busyness are rampant, we share a different message: Rest Deeper. Live Fuller. Lead Better.
We need your help to keep this work going–and to make it better. So we invite you to join us as a partner on Patreon.com.
We want to release the same high-caliber, high-value episodes to you, but with even more excellence. We want to create even more conversations, prayers, interviews and 5-minute retreats for a more gracious, thoughtful approach to your life.
Our podcast will always be free to all listeners, but by subscribing to Patreon you can help–your monthly subscription helps us grow our team, pay for the hard costs of producing our work, and makes it possible for us to spread our message globally. You can partner with us for as little as $1 a month.
Plus, depending on your subscription, you'll get access to some resources and opportunities available only to our patron community, like:
- A copy of our talking points and notes for each episode.
- Access to a members only Patreon feed.
- An extra 10-minute “inside track” after-episode podcast, where we unpack the podcast theme further.
- Helping us choose topics and respond to questions for future episodes.
- A 20% discount for all of Unhurried Living online courses.
Help us produce the work you already love–become a subscriber today. We thank you in advance for becoming a part of our community. So head on over to patreon.com/unhurriedliving and become a patron today!